Monday, July 4, 2016

Unforgiveness: The hidden tree stump in our yards.





I don’t know about you but I have found myself compartmentalizing my hurts and wounds. There is the one for the small hurts (the these ones I can deal with kind), and the other one of, these am too scared to even look at because the demons in there are too big for me to deal with.

 For these, I just close the lid and go on a trip called, let's just pretend that everything is fine. I am fine. They are fine, and the whole world is a huge bowl of fine!

I put on a crooked smile, which only lasts for a little while, until my well-compartmentalized life begins to overflow everywhere and in everything, especially where I do not want it.


Here is a little illustration of what unforgiveness left undealt with will do to our lives.


                                          * The tree stump story*


Every homeowner wants their front yard beautiful; they plant grass, pot flowers, trim the fence, all in the quest of an eye worthy front yard.

 This couple had just moved into a new house, a new neighborhood, excited they made plans to clear the front yard and plant some nice looking grass and flowers and they prepared and fertilized the soil then went ahead and planted grass and flowers .  

A few weeks in, they noticed some white patches shooting up in the middle of their grass and flowers. Without much thought to it, they just removed the white patches and filled in the bare patches with new grass and flowers.

To their amazement, the white patches reappeared, choking out the grass and the flower seedlings. Unfazed and still determined to have the front yard of their dreams they got to work again, scraping off and replanting again.

 The problem persisted and this time it reappeared bigger and fiercer than before.

The couple decided to seek help from an old man who had lived in that neighborhood for years and was familiar with the place. They inquired if he would know why there were white patches on their front yard. The old man told them that years earlier there had been a tree cut in that very spot.
 Now with a different perspective. They dug up a big hole in the front yard.

 Lo and behold, there indeed had been a tree, and when the tree was cut the stump and its roots was left buried, hidden deep in the soil, rotted and now was poisoning the soil around it.

 To remove the white patches that were choking out their plants, the stump and the roots had to be completely dug out of the soil.

Therefore, they began the gruesome work of removing the rotten stump and its roots. This took longer than they had anticipated because they discovered that the roots had gone deeper into the soil.
There was no way around it. Slowly and painfully, bit by bit, boring brick by brick they dug up the remainder of the roots ,treated the soil ,closed up the hole and went ahead to have their beautiful front yard.


                                                               *  * * *

Just like the tree stump. Hurts and wounds, when we don’t deal with them correctly, will eventually get our attention in an undeniably loud manner. Yes, they will. When they sloppily start to peek out of the well-hidden boxes, tucked in our souls.  Bit by bit they will choke out our progress in life.

Unforgiveness has a canny way of manifesting its self. Although its different for each individual; to some its fits of rage or uncontrollable temper, to others it’s through self destructive behaviors’ while for others it’s just an inability to be close to people no matter how much we try. We can all recognize our peculiar ways. Don’t we? The thing about the past is if we do not deal with it. It has a way of dealing with us somehow.

Unknowingly we find ourselves cleaning out the front yard, trying to take out the white patches. Nevertheless, the more we clean and scrape them off, the more they continue reappearing and the more unsightly they make our front yards (Urgh!)

Frustrated and worn out, we finally realize that by ourselves we can’t get rid of the white patches. We will forever be trying to clean off the surface of our lives without really getting rid of anything.
 We understand that Jesus is the only person who can get deep into our hearts and remove every dead and poisonous root that is poisoning our hearts and our lives.

 Finally, we are now ready to ask for His help.

I have found myself muttering under my breath, “not this again!”  Flustered about something that shows up in my life long after I think I have dealt with it. Not realizing it takes a while for God to dig up the rotten roots (which have gone deep into my soul)    

Sometimes it is a fight because we tend to like our hurts. We like them because we get to feel justified to act out and feel sorry for ourselves.
                       

                              * Getting rid of the white patches*


    By allowing God into our lives.

 God is not afraid of my mess he gets into my heart and unravels everything I have hidden in there. He lovingly shows me the issues am refusing to deal with. And shows me how to completely get rid of them.

He is patient with me and gives me time to walk in forgiveness. There are times I have heard the loud whisper of the Holy Spirit saying, “its time.”  And I know He is telling me that the grace period to feel bad or to ignore an issue is over.

It is time to face it.

 Leave vengeance to God

Whenever somebody hurts, our first reflex action is to hit back and hurt them as much as they hurt us.
Jesus sets a different standard.

When He was reviled and  insulted, He did not revile or offer insults in return; when He was abused and suffered, He made no threats of vengeance; but entrusted Himself to God who judges fairly. (1 peter 2:23)

 It’s not our job to retaliate, we leave this to God who judges fairly and will not let the guilty go free. It’s Gods business how He deals with the people who have hurt us not ours. Our job is to release them into God’s hands.

Jesus already bore our hurts and wounds.

 Sometime last year, I was going through a season where I unknowingly carried unforgiveness in my heart for someone who had hurt me.  The worst part was they didn’t know that their actions had hurt me. I was not only mad at the person who hurt me but also mad at God for not protecting my heart. 
 I tried to run, I ignored it, I put up emotional walls, and I was determined to protect my heart.

Until the Holy Spirit asked me, “why are you carrying a burden that Jesus already died for?”  I remember thinking what? Where is that in the Bible?

The Holy Spirit said, “By His wounds you were healed.” (1 peter 2:24).

 Bare footed and undone, sitting on my bed, I stared at this verse and cried out, “God because 2000 years ago Jesus was heartbroken for my sake.  I no longer have to bear this I release this hurt in Jesus name! I literally felt the weight in my heart lift and finally I was free! And free indeed.

This revelation changed my life.  I was finally free to love without being afraid of getting hurt again because Jesus paid the price for every hurt and every heartache that this life would bring and I never have to bear it again.
We will get hurt because we live in a broken world with broken people, but God has made the provision for us by carrying away our hurts. We either receive healing by faith or carry the burden ourselves. It’s our choice.

Trust God to work it out for our good

 It’s sometimes very hard to imagine how something so hurtful, so awful, so appalling can be worked out for good. Still we serve a God who turns the impossible into possible.

As for you, you intended evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring about the saving of many lives. (Gen 50:20)

Joseph gave this answer to his cruel brothers.  Whom 20 years earlier, had hated and despised him because their father loved him more. They had sold him into slavery and lied to their father that wild animals had eaten him. However, God had turned that for good. Right there in the land of slavery had made him second in command to pharaoh to sustain his father’s house from a seven-year famine. 

selah.

His brothers thinking they were doing him harm were actually doing them a favor. How weird is this turn of events?

Joseph is a man who had more to forgive than most people yet he shows such a remarkable character in a way that is astounding. God was able to use his painful experiences to shape and mould his character. He will do the same in our lives if we allow him.

This is a lesson for us that no matter what the enemy throws at us, no matter what hurts come our way. God is able to turn it around for our good and for His glory.

 No limit in forgiveness

Peter comes to Jesus and asks, “Lord, how many times may my brother sin against me and I forgive him? As many as up to seven times?”

Jesus answered to him, “I tell you not up to seven times but seventy times seven.” (Matthew 18:21-22)

According to the Jewish tradition, you were to forgive as many as three times so peter thought he had really stretched himself by forgiving seven times but Jesus corrects Him and says seventy times seven which in the Hebrew language is a number without limit.

Jesus was saying in God’s economy there’s no limit in the number of times we forgive. This is not to say that sometimes, God will not allow us time away so we can heal.
It sounds impossible but with God everything is possible and He will give us the grace to be able to forgive without limit.

We forgive because we have been forgiven

God sent His son Jesus to die for our sins. He paid such a heavy price for us and for others. Their trespasses against us have been forgiven just like ours. For this reason, we are to freely forgive others.
Just because it’s a command from God doesn’t mean it comes automatically to us.

Honestly most of the times I don’t feel like forgiving. This is what I do when I feel like it’s a bit hard for me to forgive. I get honest before God.

I say, “Father I know it’s your will that I walk in forgiveness. I don't feel like it, don't even want to do it, I ask for your grace to be able to. By faith, I receive your grace to forgive--------- I put in their name, for ----------- I say what I forgive them for. I receive healing in Jesus name.”

A person, who finds it hard to give grace to others, is a person who thinks they never will require the same grace.



God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment